Saturday, December 13, 2014

Twelve Days of Christmas #1: Partridge Feathers And Pears

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me, a partridge in a pear tree!

"Partridge in a Pear Tree" by Etsy
(Polyvore)
High above in the sky was a whistle I heard
A whistle vibrantly sung with elegance
And when I heard the song I wondered
In my head, whether I would dance
Upon the clouds perhaps?
Kind of like jumping on your bed as a child
Except that the blankets and pillows flew
Higher and higher as you jumped
With the tears at the seams sending feathers
Up like a partridge and back down again.
“Hey look at all the snow!”
I'd point my fingers at all the feathers.
“The partridge left us a surprise”
Though I didn't quite believe my eyes
Not even for a moment, until now
Sweet as a pear was the moment
That I cherished it with a hugging embrace



I clung to the sweet flavor rolling on my cheeks
The red ones that made my face warm
Like the cotton mittens that I used to wear
When throwing snowballs in the air
For we were just children back then
When simple things seemed to matter most
But now with out busiest days at the desk
Writing out notes and shipping labels
It wasn't the same as a lick and paste
It was more complex than that
Or so it seemed at the time, but
Looking back at it all,
We can embrace the gifts of being young
For the years go by faster than we'd like
And although we are but older ladies and gents
We might still sing carols and “la la la's”
'Cause it is in the spirit of it all
The innocent spirit of a child's eyes
That we can see the spirit of Christmas.

Question: "What childhood memories remind you of the spirit of Christmas?"

2 comments:

  1. Well I certainly remember jumping up and down on the bed, but being much older I can recall the utter pleasure of receiving quite small gifts; mere tokens of the event as war was raging. I am sure they were appreciated much more that the most expensive toys and gadgets that are given today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will admit that I love the simple things in life much more than all the fancy gadgets, but I definitely don't neglect on how useful a lot of my gadgets can be. I couldn't have my blog without my laptop, nor could I keep up with all the updates without my cell phone. Albeit all that ruckus though.. I like the little things the most. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments would be appreciated.