Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The I in Discovery

“Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.” 
― Carl Sagan

"Beyond Imagination" Image found from article: 92 Commentaries On Imagination
Emotion swirls around in circles
As the ink blotches the page, in spots
Dotting every single sentence,
But that isn't the end of the story
Oh no! This is just the beginning
Of a fruitful and successful spring.
Like junipers and tiger lilies I jump
Off from the ground and into a book
Each chapter a novelty, a blessing
Because passion drives me

To move mountains with simple words –
Although there is complexity in what I say,
Something that is undefined and refines
The tongue with whispers and images –
A painting that changes in hue every second,
Every moment a renewed portrait,
A landscape of what is in the mind's eye.
Words are a living creature, a new breed
Of personality that releases pheromones
Smelling of cinnamon and fresh coffee –
Something pleasurable and stimulating
To the brain-work that conjures magic.
I'm a magician insane enough to believe
That there is more to just speaking plainly
Because behind every word is a secret,
And I run in pursuit to find those out.
Ink on the paper is a prescription, a remedy
To the maladies that boil inside,
As if it were really a plague to be so blessed.
This world has more to offer than simple words
Because words have meaning, hopeful grace
That sweeps up a person in a world
Unlike any they have seen before
And whisks them away to a Neverland
Of make believe and a wishful blend
Of pixie dust that can make ink soar
Right off from the page, and into stars
Whose glimmering constellations are heroes
Who've provided guidance and compassion
To the writer that is inside of me.
See, everything has a purpose on this earth,
And I'm here to unlock those purposes
To read between the lines of black and white
And unravel the mysteries that are hidden
In every single stanza and every rhyme.
Reading the details like a homemade recipe
So that I can mix a perfect blend of spices
Herbs and tasteful reckonings in the bowl
Stirring it well and serving it on a platter.
There is something resonating within
A light that shines through the seams
Ready to burst, a supernova of creativity

Because of the surrounding secrets around me.


I'm sharing this poem with Poetry Jam for the "Writing" challenge presented by Gabriella.

23 comments:

  1. ha. love it...you just kinda exploded on the page....my fav part is somewhere in the middle...

    I'm a magician insane enough to believe
    That there is more to just speaking plainly
    Because behind every word is a secret

    ah I agree completely and there is so much more than what we see as well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to know that I could connect my thoughts with someone else. Thanks for stopping by Brian. So many secrets and so much to say. My head definitely just kind of exploded all over the page like someone took a wrecking sized paintball and threw it against the wall.

      Delete
  2. There is so much in this, the power of words and their secrets. I would find it easier to read by the way if it were broken into some stanzas. You really did just kind of explode on the page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I can see where you are coming from with the whole stanza thing. I just kind of exploded into writing it that I didn't really take the time to split it up.

      Delete
  3. I agree that there is so much in your poem, Ken, it is amazing. The images are very evocative and powerful. "Of a fruitful and successful spring. Like junipers and tiger lilies I jump" - one of my favorites. I also like the idea of using simple words to convey strong 'things'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words are definitely a wonderful tool for expression, and they have a lot of meaning behind them when applied the right way.

      Delete
  4. Kenn, so true that emotion swirls around in circles when one writes. I feel the same way. I wonder if you censor yourself a bit....I know I do. I don't let all of my emotions out, for self preservation, I think. But the emotion is there. The idea of the words being a living creature is so very true! Poetry lives and breathes. And yes, there are mysteries in every stanza, Kenn. I think they are only discovered by those who truly read. From what I see of you, YOU are one of those who really reads, who looks for the unraveling of the mysteries of the written word. I really like what you did to this prompt, Kenn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been told that I have a vivid imagination, and I have books to thank for that because without them I don't know if I ever would be the same writer that I am now; if I would be a writer at all. I do censor what I say a little bit because I don't want to give people too much about myself. I write poetry so as to convey a message in narration form rather than just a personal journal for my everyday self-talk. Thank you Mary for the wonderful comment and for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. I have been helped by books as well. If I am uninspired, I have a few favorite books I look through....just for inspiring words or phrases. I do agree about not giving people too much about oneself. We poets have to keep a bit of mystery. Smiles!!

      Delete
  5. You have conjured the universe that I'd called writing and zapped ud with the magic of your poem

    Really nice


    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill, I was excited to write this poem for the prompt we were given. I got a lot of people to thank for my creative mind though. Most of which are all really close to me.

      Delete
  6. I specially like: Words are a living creature
    And Ready to burst, a supernova of creativity

    May you continue to be inspired to write and share ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your kind words with me Grace. May you too continue to be blessed to write and inspire others to write.

      Delete
  7. Beautifully penned and I completely agree with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daneshwari,
      There is just so much to say about writing when the person doing the writing is a writer.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful, explosive and such emotion it really draws you in and creates a masterpiece. It is amazing to share your pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan,
      I spilled the way I feel about writing all over this poem as if I was a drip painter.

      Delete
  9. Behind every word is a secret...so true.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just kept bouncing from one imagination to another reading your poem. So many metaphors and so much thinking. I loved it. The best for me were -
    "Reading the details like a homemade recipe
    So that I can mix a perfect blend of spices
    Herbs and tasteful reckonings in the bowl
    Stirring it well and serving it on a platter."
    An interesting comparison and so aptly expressed. I am leaving your page with a big smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I glad that my poem sparked so much expression for you Salvwi. :)

      Delete
  11. I like your words but I really love the photo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the photo. When I discovered it looking around the web I couldn't help but use it for this poem because it matched the context perfectly.

      Delete

All comments would be appreciated.