Friday, January 9, 2015

Reap the Throne - A Blackout Poem

I've been looking around at a lot of the poet blogs that I follow, as well as some others, and I've seen these blackout poems everywhere. I knew that this kind of poetry existed, but never really tried it myself. I decided to take "The City in the Sea" by Edger Allan Poe, and made a blackout poem out of it. Poe has always been one of my favorite poetic artists of all time because he has such a way with words that depict the darkest side of human life. I don't say this because I'm a negative person, but because I respect the artist in whatever endeavor they may pursue; not to mention I enjoy delving into the minds of people both negatively and positively. So without further ado, I give you my blackout rendition of Edger Allan Poe. If you would like to compare the original with my blackout version please click on the link above.

Note: Please neglect the final word "shall" for I had missed it when I was marking.
It is not suppose to be part of the poem.
Death has a throne
Strange, lying alone
Down in the West.
The bad and the best

Gone

Eternal shrines and towers
Time tremble not!
Nothing is ours.
By wind forgot the sky,
Melancholy waters from the holy heaven
Light the lurid sea,
Streams silently – gleams
Far and free, up spires
Up Babylon!

Shadowy ivy
Up many a marvelous shrine
Wreathed
Intertwine the violet vine.
Beneath the sky, waters lie,
So blend shadows there.

Pendulous in a proud tower
Death looks down gaping graves
With luminous riches lie idol's
Diamond eye, jewelled dead.
Tempt their bed;
For alas! That wilderness
Tell winds be upon happier sea.
No winds have been serene.
Stir the wave
The towers
Sinking
Their tops a void within Heaven.

Now a red glow – breathing faint
Amid earthly moans
Hell
A thousand thrones.

Question for the Reader: Do you think that my version turned out "darker" than Edgar Allan Poe's original?

8 comments:

  1. What an epic poem - and such an interesting creative process

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like doing blackout poetry because so much trial and error goes into finding keywords to keep, and forming a complete and concise poem from it.

      Delete
  2. not sure, but it made a great read, almost a review of sorts, great words you chose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I normally only use these types of poems as an exercise of sorts, mainly because this isn't an original work of my own, it is kind of like copying and pasting almost, but I enjoyed the creative process just the same.

      Delete
  3. I agree that it is an enjoyable creative process. I think the blackout poem is more of an exercise than a poem; but it is a great challenge. You worked Edgar Allan Poe's poem well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like there were a few places that I cut out too much, but it seemed to read okay, and it maintained the darkness that Poe tended to use.

      Delete
  4. I really missed coming here and reading you Kenn. <3

    I love the idea of blackout poetry, it's not often I can see lines I could call of my own among lines of others.

    It was only last weekend I read Edgar Allan Poe for the first time and I liked his writing, but I don't think he would become a favorite writer of mine because I'm easily scared by the smallest things.

    As mentioned above, your choice of words is neat and I do recognize you in the poem. :)

    I'm leaving work now and as soon as I'm home I'm going to spend the night with you. I mean, here.

    Kiss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blackout poetry is a really good way to get those creative juices circulating.

      Poe can be quite the dark person. I enjoy his short stories as much as the poems he wrote; most specifically The Raven. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if Tim Burton teamed up with Edgar. I bet that would be one scary / creepy movie.

      Thanks for stopping by Kenia. :)

      Delete

All comments would be appreciated.