Thursday, January 15, 2015

Raindrops

I wanted to try something different for a change. I normally don't write love poetry, and this is my first shot at it. I was inspired by one of my favorite songs about overcoming adversity and life's tragedies in a relationship. I feel like a lot of us have been down this road plenty of times before.  


She sits cross legged in the pouring rain
Her hands clasped together across her face
Drowning, not in the rainfall, but in her tears
Fearing that the world has come to consume her

She has nothing to gain and everything to lose
With every drop against the hardened ground
She feels the tremor inside of her lash out
Like a whip against her heart, shattered and broken


He sees her every day all alone
A girl of only eighteen and full of beauty
Perhaps not in appearance but in personality
Her bulky black lenses and love for cats
Her lovely perfume of a passion fruit flower
Just right for a girl who is a wanderer.

One day he couldn't bear to see her cry
So he walks like a one man army over to her
Placing his coat around her red soaked body
His warm embrace soothes her chilling blood
Breaking the ice like it was a sunshine ray
Not because he wanted her for her body
But because he actually cared for the person.

They walk underneath the blackened sky
As thunder bolts crash around them
Neither caring what others have to say
Walking between these raindrops, you and me
We are heroes in our own minds
We are lovers at first sight
Like a fairy tale bound to come alive.

You don't have to walk in the rain alone
I'll be here for you even when you're gone.
This was the promise that he had made
Crossing his x's and o's with a capital T
Because these raindrops revealed the beauty
Of a true friendship in those stormy skies.

6 comments:

  1. you don't have to walk in the rain alone...so sweet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say, I don't like seeing other people alone when they are down.

      Delete
  2. I love that he notices her "love for cats" and he has come close enough to know her scent, too. This takes a lot of dedication; walking up to her while she is falling apart takes a lot of courage. Almost as much as accepting that warm embrace, so soon after having been broken. Lovely.

    And what Gail said... ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes people just need a friend to help them up onto their feet. What happens after is just sheer coincidence.

      Delete
  3. If you were a man who talked about love, I would venture into discussing this poem with you. There are lines here I adore and other thoughtful ones I'd like to have explained and talked about.

    Love the way you deal with a subject you don't often visit. :)

    Kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't often visit this kind of stuff for a reason. I don't like putting too much of myself out there.

    ReplyDelete

All comments would be appreciated.